View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Dark blue Mk5 from Twitter 

Post Dark blue Mk5 from Twitter
How dark is your "dark blue"
here's a blue Mk5 @ Del Mar 'road races in 1964

Attachments:
del Mar '64.jpg
del Mar '64.jpg [ 44.13 KiB | Viewed 3255 times ]
Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Post Re: Dark blue Mk5 from Twitter
It is indeed every bit as blue as depicted in this shot, no sign of the white with red trim stripes though, may have been sanded away with time. any idea who might have been wheeling this beauty around Del Mar? My car had some touches of yellow, maybe just the meatballs and stripes and then later painted Silver.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:05 am

Thanks for these updates.

any about prévious owners ?
where does it come from ?
any chassis number ?

Thanks

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Thinking since Bunny bought this one some 30 years ago on the west coast in it's current condition that it is probably a west coast car, a great deal of originality came with it albeit in pieces. No plate on car, it is presumably hanging as ornament on someones man cave wall, please kind soul reunite my car with it's true identity :lol: No I suspect it will take some photo evidence showing the few odd styling ques the car has to determine it's origin thus history. The Del Mar shot you shared looks quite promising but it now appears there were at least three blue MKV's running at the time. My car has signs of a small roll hoop/headrest that has been removed but there are no signs of a full roll bar so we have that. Still have the original steering, suspension, brakes, body and frame with few mods/repairs. Kyte and Snyder are seeming less likely unless Cecil (Son of David Kyte) comes up with some old photos showing what I am looking for. Art Snyder was located right here in Gardena CA and have no idea of whereabouts or kin so no one to check on there... so the quest continues. Thanks for helping.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:02 pm

John Harrington of Fresno entered a MK V at Santa Barbara in September, 1964. His name and car appear in the program as #270 with 1100cc motor and entered from "B and H Racing." He might not have arrived.

Harrington also entered Santa Barbara in May 1965. His MK 5 is listed as "Bronze" color, #77.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:12 pm

The blue-white car at Del Mar has the paint scheme employed by Art Snyder on most of his cars. Note the swooping white lines from the front fenders towards rear of car. However, the car appears to be Snyder's Lola MK I, and not his Elva MK 5, which I believe he sold in late '61.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:47 pm

The Harrington car seems more likely as my car does have a dusty rose/bronze paint on it. Prior to this the car had a brilliant blue with what appear to be hand painted yellow numbers or stripes but when removing any upper layers the yellow comes off with it and there are no tell tale signs of what number it might have worn. I will start over with Harrington as this seems as likely as any if not more in the proper alignment with various colors this car sports. It will be interesting to find prior history back to the Silver paint and then to it's original dark blue. If Harrington ran it in bronze then there was a small scoop (served no apparent purpose) directly next to driver at rear bonnet, not to be confused with the head rest, this should be evidenced in any photograph of this time period should one exist. Any ideas on who owned the Harrington car before? Is it possible he was the first (not likely). Thanks again, hoping Roger might come up with some information from Carl on S/N's sold out west and their owners.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:00 pm

I have no further leads on Harrington. He was from Fresno so that might be a start. The small air scoop on the rear deck was probably used to direct air to the inboard rear brakes. It is something to look for. You might try looking for 1961-63 Road and Track magazine and the SCCA magazine "Sports Car." The auto museum here in San Diego has a good collection of both mags. It is located in Balboa Park. Bob

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:29 pm

Aw Balboa Park, lovely place for anyone who hasn't seen some old history of the San Diego area, wife and I love it. Did visit the car museum and the air museum should not be missed, great restaurant onsite as well. The rear air scoop looked more decorative as there is no hole beneath it to vent the brakes but I suspect the owner just never got that far so likely Bob is correct. I will keep digging, thank you for your help Bob, look forward to seeing you run soon if I get the chance, maybe we could get the MKVI 60/21 out there with your MKII and see how they look together? I will double back with Bunny and see if he has a line on Harrington but no answer on the telephone from him today.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:48 pm

We could meet in Balboa Park for lunch at El Prado and then spend some time in the research library of the auto museum. We leave for The Portland races next Monday and will be in the NW for a month. We will be home the first two weeks in August, then off to Monterey. We plan to run the San Diego Coronado race in September so perhaps you could come to the races and we could explore the museum library together. Keep in touch. Bob

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next