View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Mk V11 in west sussex 1964 

Post Mk V11 in west sussex 1964
IN 1964, my boss,John Barnes bought a new MkVII from Mr Nicholls. It came assembled,less engine. I know of all the competition history of this car. Road registered, 444 MBP, we campaigned this car from our caravan/garage business in West Sussex. The following year,with a Ford 1650 lump,and a Shorrack supercharger,we competed in the RAC hillclimb championship,and the Elva was capable of getting into the top ten times,and gaining points.,usually against ex F1 single seaters. It was all great fun. I accompanied John,usually doing most of the driving to the venues(we had a Lotus Cortina as the towcar!),I believe the car was later found ,following the passing of my boss,in a barn close to Selsey,Chichester. I was wondering who owned it now,and if the full ,early history would be of interest.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Post Re: Mk V11 in west sussex 1964
Following my previous message,Roger has contacted me with update of this Elva,which I was pleased to read. The original owner,John Barnes,was an amazing character,and I was privaliged to be a part of his life ,and of his familyAs far as the arrival of the Elva..Jsorted. ohn built a thriving business in Selsey,West Sussex. In the late fifties he participated in many local motoring events,mostly club rallies. However,as a very enthusiastic amateur,fancied a more competative scene,and in 1961 bought a Lotus 7 to compete in sprints and hillclimbs.He loved all that,and therefore,in '64decided to upgrade. The Elva was ordered from the factory. Delivered to us in W.Sx,without running gear. We registered the car for the road..444MBP. The Lotus,222CBP,was sold to a local youngster. His name,Derek Bell,to start a career that continues to this day.We had a number of BMC A series engines laying around the premises,so finally put together a 948cc formula junior spec lump. We bought a new box from Hewland,mated them together,and by the end of 64,the car was sorted. So,for 1965,we ran the car in various club events throughout southern england.It worked well,and a decision was made at the end of season to do an upgrade. We had a good relationship with the local Ford distributor,and,through them,Ford ,Dagenham provided us with what they called a selected block. This was a Cortina based1598 ,capable of being bored out. We did this locally,ending with 1650,but,if I remember,this was still a pushrod standard engine. John new of Allards ,and Allan Allard offered to kit the Elva up with a supercharger.We entered the 1966 season with a suprisingly quick car. I have many memories of our campains in '66 and '67 when we entered the RAC Hillclimb Championship. More info re the background to this if you want it!

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]