View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Trojan Sebring Courier or perhaps one of the 'lightweights' 

Post Trojan Sebring Courier or perhaps one of the 'lightweights'
There has been correspondence from Cliff Murray which nicely aligns with the Forum discussions regarding the few Trojan built 'specials' and the Sebring version.
Cliff originally commented .. "Pictured is the car that I owned from 1973/4 through 1977/8. It was RHD, MGB powered and had IRS. The floors were fiberglass and the doors were very thin fiberglass. I sold the car to a CPA living in Florida. I don't know what he did with the car. Unfortunately I don't have the serial number but some day I might turn up the letter I received from Trojan when I inquired about the car while I owned it."
He later wrote .. "I bought the "Sebring" from a man living in Paoli PA who had owned it a few years and raced it but wasn't very heavily into racing. It was orange when I bought it. He told me that it was right hand drive because it was sent to the US by the factory to race at Sebring then sold here (the States) after the race. It did not have a scoop or bulge in the hood for large carbs and I think that most US production racing rules would not allow larger carbs. It also had a standard Triumph Herald type steel fuel tank and no signs of a cutout in the trunk lid for a large filler cap. Perhaps a larger gas tank could have been easily removed and reused in another race car. Although the doors were very light and the car had fiberglass floors the rest of the body was normal English too heavy construction of the day just like my Daimler SP250 and my current Mk.IV-T being E1158 with an overdrive gearbox. They could have learned a lot from Bill Devin."

RAD comment .. Trojan did NOT build or want to build the Courier as a race car and so the comparison to other builders is not appropriate. However a few successful owners racing early Couriers did persuade Peter Agg to supply 'special' cars which were usually supplied as incomplete 'lightweights' so that the first owner could then finish to their own requirements. There is NO evidence that ANY Courier left Bexhill, Ore, Hastings or Croydon with a roll hoop and the only TROJAN fully built cars suggesting a measure of competition potential was the Sebring model, of which just two are listed being E1200 and E1201.
I refer to a letter dated November 1963 from Peter Agg (Managing Director of the Trojan Group) to Ernest Unger who ran the Equipe Elva (London) Team which follows from a request by Unger for Trojan to build a specific competition Courier and for a measure of 'works' support.
Peter Agg responded ".. with regard to the question of racing Couriers, I think this would be almost entirely dependent on your personal assessment of the car, rather than our desire to race. I know from experience that racing is 'damned' expensive and frankly I do not want to have anything directly to do with it - particularly having regard to prototype activity." Peter Agg continued "I am not any more enthusiastic than that at this stage - I do not make any false promises, as in my mind I do not feel we are at present producing the right kind of car for racing work." However, the Sebring was announced a month later and the prototype shown at the January 1964 Racing car show described as .. "The model has been developed from the normal road going Mk.IV T-Type but offering a lightweight body shell and chassis plus a number of additional features (listed)." It would seem that Agg was persuaded to make a token effort towards the racing history of the earlier cars but it was too little too late. The world had moved on and it was not long before the Courier production stopped at car numbered E1210.
It would be interesting to know the chassis ID if it comes to light, unless anyone can add to the story since Cliffs' ownership?

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 511.12 KiB | Viewed 841 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 103.36 KiB | Viewed 841 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 280.29 KiB | Viewed 841 times ]
Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]