View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
THE LRG and ELVA IOE CONVERTED ENGINES 

Post THE LRG and ELVA IOE CONVERTED ENGINES
Over the years I have found a number of the LRG and ELVA IOE conversions which were an important source of income during the early days of the ELVA Engineering Company Limited. My 1957 ELVA Mk.1B started with the ELVA-FORD engine and raced successfully before becoming uncompetitive and was gently retired. When I first discovered the car, the IOE engine had been replaced by a later OHV 1200cc Ford 109E unit but very recently the correct engine was 'found' in the back of a garage, stored since the mid 1970's. This lucky find was the push towards the completion of the article that I started several years ago, and this will appear on the website shortly.

This article is not intended to be the definitive version or a highly technical feature about the IOE conversions, but will hopefully be of interest and encourage a response from people who have owned, or perhaps currently use these engines. There are bound to be alternative parts fitted as replacements for originals over the past fifty-five years, and of course improvements found and made, so please let me know so that the feature can in itself be updated and improved. As the rebuild of my engine progresses I will add details via postings here on the Elva Forum, together with input from two other owners undertaking similar rebuilds. We will, of course welcome input from anyone who has experience of these conversions so do please contribute in due course.

Meanwhile, I am indebted to Bruce Sutcliffe, Malcolm Buckler, Kelvin Brown and a number of ex. Elva people for their recollections and input.

The words and pictures were included as a small part of all my research material used as the basis for the ELVA book. However, the real leading lights in this story are 'Mac' Witts who designed and developed the original conversion and more recently Bruce Sutcliffe who has passionately continued the development of the ELVA-FORD engines to produce amazing power and reliabilty from a 1950's design. RAD

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:16 am

Post Re: THE LRG and ELVA IOE CONVERTED ENGINES
Here is a initial version of the info I have, much thanks to Bruce Sutcliffe ... will need corrections, additions, thoughts please! As we are currently interested in the Ford 100E application, I have not explored the earlier E93A version in detail.

The head castings:-
LRG casting produced by Birmingham Aluminium after prototypes cast by the Rother Iron Works. Original casting for Ford E93A

Further LRG casting produced by Birmingham Aluminium
Casting shows LRG and BA 7657 suitable for Ford 100E hand stamped with serial numbers e.g. CF55617, another shows CF1157175H and third example CF55711011. These will not be a sequence of production numbers, so??? Thoughts?
Easiest part is to suggest that the suffix H is a high compression head, but CF???

ELVA casting produced by the Enterprise Foundry.
Casting for Ford 100E; my sample has no casting identity or stamped numbers.

Alloy rocker covers showing letters E L V A on top surface. Early versions have letters projected above the top surface whereas the later versions have the letters embossed.

LRG and ELVA head gaskets available from Small Ford Spares (100E-6051-ELVA) and Johnson Gaskets. Bruce designed special gasket and fits using US product Torque-Tite from UHT. He uses the copper/asbestos type.

Inlet manifolds for twin Solex or twin SU carbs. Availability unknown? Can also be fitted with four Amal carbs.
Solex use 18 choke, .95 main, 185 correction, .50 slow running.
SU set-up?

Exhaust manifold. Fabricated to suit application

Inlet valves LRG 1 3/8ths. ELVA (100E) uses Hillman Minx Mk.VIII (1390cc) inlet with head diam 1.370", stem 0.311", length approx 4.5". Also described as Morris Marina (1300cc), Humber 80 and Hillman/Singer. Reference to part # 2214 (Hillman) also Tranco 2808.
Exhaust valves remain standard fit.

Valve springs Hillman double springs # 451/484 and possibly Marina/Mini if not for competition use. Spring retainers Perkins Diesel (modified to suit) Exhaust springs use Terrys (Ford Special) # 451/483 with 1/16th ground washer on top.

Head bolts LRG 13 x 3/8ths ELVA 14 x 7/16ths however Bruce recommends using H/T studs and fits 1/8" washers.

Rocker arms variously described as from Rover (1956) 12 or 60 or 80 models. Probably same part. Bruce has redesigned the rocker shafts due to oil supply and centration problems. Also the rocker shafts remade a little shorter with hardened steel plates top and bottom.

Modified Triumph m/cycle push rods, however MGB indicated as possible source. Length 8.75", diam 0.262", solid rod and cup. Also reference to pushrod length 10 5/16th" (maybe for the later Enterprise casting?)

Plugs Lodge CL10 with 0.25" gap. Also suggested Champion G-61 or G-63, and NGK CR6HS

Pistons from Peter Hepworth Components under ref 11920; also shown as Hepolite 13555; cylinder liners under ref FS2547

Bruce also noted that he carefully checks each head and then alloy welds to remove any corrosion at waterways. The heads are built up at chambers # 1 and 4 by the stud hole as these are the weakest points of seal. The head is then milled and each combustion chamber tweaked to make equal in volume and shape (30.4ml). Usually big differences. Ports similarly checked and polished. The inlet castings and location studs often mismatched so need checking. Careful reworking can bring about big improvements in power and reliability.

There are various publications from the era which give detailed modification advice for the main engine block. There are concerns that sometimes the 'experts' and/or the publishers get things expensively wrong, but recommended ..

Supertune Your Ford 100E by R.M.Clarke. Available from Small Ford Spares as a reprint. Soft cover with a spiral spine.
Clarke also wrote similar version for the E93A Ford 10 engine. "

The following images show the brochure produced by ELVA Engineering in the early days, but note that the fitting instructions pictured was printed in the era following the voluntary liquidation of ELVA Cars Ltd., indicated by ELVA Cars (1961) Ltd., thus towards the end of production of the IOE heads in the early 1960's.

Attachments:
Elva-Brochure-1.jpg
Elva-Brochure-1.jpg [ 193.28 KiB | Viewed 3559 times ]
Elva-Brochure-2.jpg
Elva-Brochure-2.jpg [ 157.13 KiB | Viewed 3559 times ]
Elva-IOE-Fitting-Instructions.jpg
Elva-IOE-Fitting-Instructions.jpg [ 250.53 KiB | Viewed 3559 times ]
Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]