View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Mike's Elva Courier MkIV Build Thread! 

Post Re: Mike's Elva Courier MkIV Build Thread!
Got some pictures of the number plate today! Unfortunately, the time outside took its toll on the paint. Does anyone have a good method of restoring the plate? It was tough to get a clear shot because the car has been basically pushed into a dark corner until the weather improves, but here you go:

It's tough to see, but the serial number is indeed 1187 and the engine number is RS22145.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:06 pm

If this car was a T type wouldn't there be some evidence of the differential and A-arm mounting points on the frame? Didn't the T-type have a cage like structure around the differential? I recall an Elva ad with this frame painted white to hi-lite the feature. Don't recall did the T-type have inboard or outboard brakes? Maybe a old unused brake hose bracket?

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:45 pm

You mean this ... ??

Attachments:
Courier T-Type frame.jpg
Courier T-Type frame.jpg [ 52.77 KiB | Viewed 2225 times ]
Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:05 am

Doesn't look much like Mike's frame does it? Swapped VIN plate or erroneous records at Trojan?? Roger has said many times that Frank and company were not too meticulous about record keeping. How good were Trojan's books?
The engine number doesn't look like MG unless it was a rebuild?? What did English Ford engine numbers look like in the '60's?

Attachments:
Trojan frame.jpg
Trojan frame.jpg [ 263.61 KiB | Viewed 2225 times ]
Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:42 pm

I have corresponded with Mike about this and I have suggested that he attempts to get more info on the history of this particular car. The number shown on the plate relates to a Ford engine.
It wasn't just Frank Nichols and team that were were not great record keepers, it was most of the low volume manufacturers of the day. Trojan were more organised but to be fair to FGN this was several years later and the whole set-up was completely different.
These were different times; there was not the intense interest in 'numbers' and there may have been financial reasons not to be too precise about paperwork. When the workforce stood back and looked at the pristine shiny ELVA about to be supplied to the first owner, do you think that anyone had any interest in a number stamped on a brass plate ... more likely in the UK it would be the road registration number i.e. "BUY 1" prized by the more wealthy owner. A shame that this was not the important number as at least these show in period photographs on cars used on road, track or both! Would have made the passion of history tracing a little more easy!

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:15 pm

I wonder if the apparent contradiction in specification between the car and the chassis number could be because the chassis plate was replaced/swapped at some point, the other original Mk4 chassis plates I've seen which fall either side of E1187 have been stamped rather than engraved, see attached.

Attachments:
chassis-plate-_e1146_wr.jpg
chassis-plate-_e1146_wr.jpg [ 161.82 KiB | Viewed 2209 times ]
Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:13 pm

Yes, I mentioned above that I had corresponded off Forum with Mike as the chassis plate is "unusual" and there appears to be a number of inconsistencies. I am hopeful that Mike Clifford Jnr and Snr might be able to track back and let us know more about the history of car and plate in due course.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:50 pm

Post-Sebring update!

We've been gone to the races for a few weeks now, and when we returned I was surprised with some pretty exciting progress on the chassis!

A new setup to replace the destroyed front section of the frame:

Complete with the Spitfire suspension towers, which just need to be perfectly aligned and attached:

A great-looking new rocker panel to replace the old bent/warped one:

A new steel floor, both for a bit of added stiffness and some extra protection:

And a good amount of work un-twisting the chassis, which is almost straight again. You can see where the frame was cut at a damaged weld near the trans mount to allow the chassis to get happy before re-welding:

One interesting detail was the...odd angles the rear shock mounts currently have:

I think I'll also be either cutting the bottom halves of those huge trailing arm brackets off or just making new, proper mounts to replace them.

Some of the next things to do are bring a dummy engine block/transmission over to start figuring out mount locations and disassembling the rear end to replace any seals/gaskets and check the condition of the hubs, hub bearings, and diff internals. Pretty exciting stuff! :D

Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:55 pm

Stopped by the shop where the Elva currently lives for other business and found a bit more progress!

The front chassis rails are all welded in!

We also have the Spitfire towers tacked in place for the time being...need to find some Spitfire front control arms first. Anybody have any?

Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:50 am

whomever is doing the restoration/welding is doing a wonderful job.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next