View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Joe's Elva Courier mk3 Not a build thread 

Post Joe's Elva Courier mk3 Not a build thread
Hi Elva enthusiasts. I recently purchased Trojan Courier #1045 from a gentleman in Texas. The car is partially (mostly) dis-assembled, as the prior owner got it, and is in need of a total restoration. It is evident that it had been raced and had a roll bar. It came with a lot of spares, but a lot of parts missing, also. I think the car is worth saving, as there are a lot of original parts still with the car, like the windshield frame, bonnet and boot hinges, fuel tank with unusual filler cap, one fiberglass seat, one bumperette, the lights (except the small ones in the front, of course), dash and gauges, and a few other odds and ends. The body looks pretty straight and no crash repairs are evident. The frame has some rust and needs to be completely restored before moving on to some of the fun projects. The original 1622 is gone, but came with a few 1800 lumps, and some tranny parts. I would be turning it into street car, not a race car. Some of the body panels have the serial # written on pencil or crayon on the backside, which I have photo’d, thinking they may get obliterated during the rebuild process. A few photos here: http://s144.photobucket.com/user/JoeFal ... eshow/Elva
Mostly I have questions about what you guys use for parts, aside from the obvious MG spares from Moss or whoever, and some procedures like how do I separate the body from the frame? Is there one way easier than another? Looks like it will be time consuming.
Does the windshield glass share with another car like a Triumph model, or is it completely unique? What size wheels and tires are you running if not the original 14” steelies? Which coilover replacements are the best match? Has anyone had an aluminium radiator made that is a direct drop-in?
I am not intending this as a build thread, but I will post a photo or two periodically.
Thanks for your time and help with this project.
Joe

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:43 pm

Post Re: Joe's Elva Courier mk3 Not a build thread
So here I am a year later and have been collecting some parts and organizing some projects. Drug out the one bumperette I have to clean it and prep it for paint so I can make a mold for the other side, and once again found a crayon scribbled chassis # under all the dirt. Also starting repairs on the boot lid. Pic here shows where a dribbling gallon can of resin mixture was left on the part (must have been tea time!) and pulled off later. Repairs will unfortunately remove this interesting (to me, anyway) history of E1045.

Attachments:
bootlid number.JPG
bootlid number.JPG [ 131.78 KiB | Viewed 1276 times ]
L Bumperette number.JPG
L Bumperette number.JPG [ 115.03 KiB | Viewed 1276 times ]
Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:13 pm

Post Re: Joe's Elva Courier mk3 Not a build thread
I wish someone had written chassis numbers all over my car! It would definitely simplify things :D

Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]