View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Latest outing for Tucker and Team D.I.R.T. 

Post Latest outing for Tucker and Team D.I.R.T.
Race report BlackHawk Farms Raceway
Beloit, WI. 6/19/16

Good day race fans,
We came very close to having a great weekend, only to have a rocker arm break and then 3 valve springs. A first failure for the valve springs for me. It turns out that the springs have a limited lifetime, so I’ll have to check and replace them after a season. We’re asking a lot from a 50 + year old engine that was never meant to do what we ask it to do these days and it’s beginning to show its weaknesses as we get more power out of it.
This was the most frustrating weekend as the car was the fastest it’s ever been and after practice I was 6th out of 39 cars and knew I could find another second or two. Elva Girl is really coming around as a whole and its fun when it works right, which I can now see. I’m able to concentrate on my driving finally, so when this happens, it’s a big letdown. I lost my temper and got aggravated with my crew, which was really the wrong thing to do, as they had nothing to do with the failure. So that added to the let down and I owe them a big apology making sure it won’t happen again.
So we’re now back at the shop, car is disassembled, parts ordered, and cleaned up, as I wanted to get a head start so I knew whether we would be racing at Waterford Hills or not, and we will be. An aside, some of the parts I need are not available as racing parts are drying up, one because of the world economy and two, a smaller racing community, less demand. This was a shock to me, so now I’m not sure how much longer road racing will be around, especially vintage. We will see how many more racing reports there will be. I would think that in as little as 25 years it will be a real exhibition with only those with deep pockets being able to afford it, but while we can we will.
Have a great summer, come out to a vintage race near you, you won’t be disappointed if you’re into cars. See you on the grid.
Tucker, Elva girl, and team DIRT.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]