View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
On the Search for Elva Employee 

Post On the Search for Elva Employee
Hello Elva forum members,
I would like to ask for your assistance or advice to aid in our search.
My grandfather (Jamie Spence) left Scotland for Canada at some time in early 1950s.
In my father's search for him or any information regarding him, we discovered that he worked for Elva as a car mechanic. I'm not sure if this was based in UK or North America.
Any information that might point us in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & regards

Chris

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:10 am

Post Re: On the Search for Elva Employee
Hi Chris .. the first Spencer who came to mind is ...
" ... They could not pay any money but would give me free air time. The deal was done. By this time (Dodgy) Derek Spencer, late of Elvas, joined the team recommended by my very good friend Malcolm Berman who became team manager. The Dodgy nickname came from Derek's great skill at welding petrol tanks. Until he blew himself up. Those were the days. Under his influence a new Elva BMW was ordered. "
The full article is at .. http://www.offshoreradio.co.uk/odds03.htm
Will search further ... however if your grandad left the UK in the early 1950's then he would have needed to have returned by the late 1960's unless he worked some years later with a race team in Canada or the States who ran an Elva ?? Rog

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:35 pm

Post Re: On the Search for Elva Employee
Hi Roger,
Thanks for your reply. As far as we know he still went by the name, Jamie Spence, after moving to Canada. As a family we really don't have a great deal more to go on. There is every possibility that he may have moved back to U.K. at some point. I can certainly try to get more info from my father regarding possible years/timescale, that he believes Jamie to be working with Elva.

Thanks again for your time

Chris

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]