View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
VERY IMPORTANT: THE LAST CHANCE TO ORDER A COURIER SCREEN! 

Post VERY IMPORTANT: THE LAST CHANCE TO ORDER A COURIER SCREEN!
This is important if you think you might need a replacement laminated glass windscreen for the 'Mk.2' or 'Mk.3' Couriers. Why? The UK based supplier has just been bought out by a similar company in Finland and it seems very likely that they will not be interested in supplying when demand is so very limited.
I have mentioned before that a bunch of folk here in the UK jointly funded the production of jigs in the early 1980's to enable all owners to obtain a new screen when necessary. This applied to both the roaster and coupe cars in period.
I have been in discussion with the current people at Pilkington and time is short to get more screens made as it is a matter of weeks before those jigs are scrapped despite the fact that we paid for the initial production costs.
SO IF YOU NEED A SCREEN OR IF YOU THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE A SPARE THEN NOW IS THE TIME TO ACT. THERE HAS BEEN LITTLE INTEREST FOR A CONSIDERABLE TIME SO IT MAY BE THAT NO ONE WILL CARE IF THE SCREENS BECOME UNAVAILABLE, HOWEVER IF THAT IS NOT THE CASE THEN DO ACT NOW.

Email me if this helps but there will be no further reminders. E: roger@elva.com

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:04 pm

Post Re: VERY IMPORTANT: THE LAST CHANCE TO ORDER A COURIER SCREE
Okay .. one screen is needed here in the UK .. Barry accidently cracked his screen just a few days ago .. these things happen!!
Think ahead guys?

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:04 am

Roger,
Since your group paid for the tooling, can't you get it from the new company and keep it somewhere? I'm sure that you could find a small foundry to cast the uprights and other bits, and obtaining custom glass for the windscreen isn't a problem in the US.
It would be a shame for the tooling to be scrapped.
Mike Ridey

Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:55 pm

Mike .. sadly a lot of interesting useful stuff has gone, often due to the lack of interest from owners in the past.
1) "Since your group paid for the tooling, can't you get it from the new company and keep it somewhere?"
Maybe, but only if there is a response from owners as all that involves time, effort and costs when there has been near to zero interest.
2) "and obtaining custom glass for the windscreen isn't a problem in the US."
The tooling relates to the manufacture of the laminated glass and so it seems that you are stating that there is no issue in having screens made locally.
3) " I'm sure that you could find a small foundry to cast the uprights and other bits.."
Absolutely, have been there and done all that, but it again involves time, effort and our money .. we remanufactured many parts over the years but there have no requests for any of these items for a very long time.
As so many Couriers have been modified for track use, the factory screens have often been discarded and replaced with various types of Perspex screens more suited to a race car. There must be original screens, surrounds and posts tucked away in garages in the States .. they might be worth finding.
Unfortunately, very few owners think ahead and make any effort to work together with others to encourage the manufacture of parts .. the new Courier badges an example despite plenty of mentions on the website.
Those that ordered were very pleased with their purchases .. but I ordered a limited number as we are not anxious to have these items sitting on shelves for umpteen years. I will make more if there is a reasonable response. R :D

Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]