View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Elva Courier Information Needed 

Post Elva Courier Information Needed
I am new to the "Elva World" and will be trying to learn as much as possible about these cars - specifically, the Elva Courier Mk3 model. I recently purchased E-1079 from the original owner, just out of 43 years of "rough" storage. The car appears to be completely original with factory top, tonneau cover, side curtains, seats, etc. It has what appears to be the original jack and handle. The motor number matches the vin plate and the seats are even marked "1079" on the bottom. I wish it was in better overall condition, but the fact that the floors and frame are rust free makes up for it and overcomes a lot of the negative!

I am hoping the members of the forum will be able to help answer some of my questions, including the ones listed below:

1. Does the Elva Courier have specific jacking points? Location?
2. I have solid steel 13" wheels with a 4" bolt pattern. Does anyone know who
Elva sourced these from? Sprites? Midget? Or?

Thanks
Bill

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:58 am

Post Re: Elva Courier Information Needed
Hi Bill,
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you can get the info you need here. Roger may chime in too with his wisdom.
As long as your car is solid and not rusty, you should be able to jack it up in the usual places. The outriggers of the frame should support the car as it doesn't weigh very much, so just forward of the rear wheels, and just behind the front wheels at the rocker panel should work.
Most Couriers have 14" wheels unless you have the Magnesium wheels which are 15". Your 13" wheels seem strange, but sometimes whatever was available at the time was used. Other folks on this board may have other, more correct info!
Good luck with your project!
Joe

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks Joe - I really appreciate the info. Fourteen inch rims seem to be the norm, and that's why I am trying to find any details about my 13" rims that I can. It does have disc brakes on the front and the hub studs have the 4" bolt pattern so it is confusing me as the 14" rims have a different bolt pattern (I believe). So I assume someone did not just bolt on Sprite/Midget wheels in place of 14" wheels?? Roger indicated that the 13" wheels were mostly likely correct and that I should restore it that way.

I am just trying to confirm it is correct the way it is - if not, I want to find the correct 14" rims. Crazy! I guess it's possible that the original owner changed out the front suspension, but I don't think so - it all looks original. I'll keep looking.........

Thanks again
Bill

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Bill,
Don't know much about Mk3 Couriers but my '59 Mk1 has 14" wheels, 14 j3 I believe or 3 1/2, very narrow, wearing 145 or 155 tires. They are 4 x 4" bolt pattern same wheels as Morris Minor and the same bolt circle as 13" Spridget wheels and maybe Spitfire. MGAs and MGBs had a bigger (4 1/2" ?) bolt circle. The Mk2s I've seen had 14" with circular perforations along the outside of the web similar to MGA and early B wheels.
Bill B.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Hi Bill
Thanks much for the information - very helpful. I was trying to find out which 14" rim had the 4 x 4" bolt pattern - you just answered that question. After talking to Joe Williams, (and Roger) I am confident that my 13" rims are original. But it's good to know which 14" wheel will bolt on in case I find mine are not factory originals.

Thanks again
Bill

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]