View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
ELVA feature article in VICTORY LANE magazine 

Post ELVA feature article in VICTORY LANE magazine
Surprised and pleased to find the ELVA article in the January issue of Victory Lane magazine written by Art Evans, however I felt it necessary to email the magazine editor Dan Davis ..

Hello Dan ..
Greetings from the UK
I am always delighted to receive my copy of Victory Lane magazine and I was made even more happy to see the article "ELVA" in the latest copy dated January 2018.
Art Evans included a very nice image as a header, but unfortunately some text, particularly in the first few paragraphs would have had 'Father' Frank spitting feathers! He never had a garage called 'Chapman Sports Motors' but formed the 'London Road Garage' in Bexhill after earlier having a small facility in a nearby East Sussex coastal village. I have never heard the first Mk.1 chassis frames described as being 'similar to Lotus' and of course the IOE conversion was developed by Mac Witts at Elva Engineering long before the Willment heads appeared.
The Mk.II prototype was first produced in 1956 and the 1958 Mk.III sports racers were all produced with alloy bodywork not Fiberglass.
The 'Notts Link' independent rear suspension used on the early Formula Juniors and Mk.IV sports racers was ahead of the game, and there was very little in the way of 'catchup', although Frank told me there had been some head scratching when the Lola Mk.1 first appeared!
Later in the article Art refers to Mike Chapman and the CSM which Frank raced, and the very first Elva did certainly evolve from the experience gained with the CSM, however the series of Elva sports car production did not ' culminate' with the front engined Mk.V, but went forward to the most successful race winning cars being the Mk.VI, VII & VIIS and the Mk.VIII & Mk.VIIIS, not forgetting the very pretty ELVA-BMW GT160 coupes.
While Trojan did continue to build the later Courier models, Frank and his talented team concentrated on producing the mid-engined sports racing cars, however, Trojan took full control of Elva Cars (1961) Ltd. during 1964 and Frank finally moved on to other things a short time later.
While the article was rather historically inaccurate in a number of respects, your inclusion in Victory Lane is very much appreciated.
All my very best wishes, Roger A. Dunbar
ELVA Cars
E: roger@elva.com
W: http://www.elva.com http://www.newelva.com
ELVA --SHE GOES AGAIN!

With so many reference sources available, including of course the ELVA book, I am surprised that the author didn't seem to have a grip on the real story, but hey ho, these things happen.
On a much more positive note there were great images of various ELVA cars in action on the track including Paul Adams with the prototype Mk.II, Mark Francis in his Mk.VIIS, Robert Maurer in his Mk.VII, Willis Murphey in yet another Mk.VIIS with several other ELVA entries listed in the various end of season meetings.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]