View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
ELVA Mk.II car/parts .. Listed on eBay but no bids. SOLD! 

Post ELVA Mk.II car/parts .. Listed on eBay but no bids. SOLD!
Not sure if should be listed as a car, but certainly a collection of parts that could/should be the basis for the restoration or recreation of an ELVA Mk.II .. for you to decide!
We have been aware of this 'discovery' for several months and I was sent images of the collection of parts when it was in the States, but as stated as yet there are no clues to the actual ID of the 'car'. Plenty of work and not least the need to recreate a new alloy body, albeit the original suppliers of the bodies to ELVA Engineering can still supply if asked very nicely. The quality can be seen in the Bexhill Museum where the most common comment from visitors is WOW!
The description given by the eBay seller is very honest so take a look at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELVA-Race-car ... Sw71BXQG2u

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 864.92 KiB | Viewed 1878 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 1878 times ]
Wed May 25, 2016 7:33 pm

Post Re: ELVA Mk.II car/parts .. Listed on eBay but no bids. Enqu
Hi Roger,

I was looking at this project with a degree of interest - to my eyes the chassis looks convincingly 'real' when viewed against visible elements of the one recently offered by Coys and now in the upcoming Historics at Brooklands sale.

The roll hoop looks like the archive photo, but is the step in the upper cross member of the chassis 'normal' or a modification? it looks odd, so if it's a mod, may be a good identifying point.

I note the archive shot has wires, but it currently has bolt on hubs, but that's not impossible.

An interesting project, but who would 'authenticate' it to make it eligible, in the absence of provenance / ID?

Al

Mon May 30, 2016 7:52 pm

Al
Thanks for your post and while I was initially a little sceptical of the early images which showed just the modified chassis, as more parts were added then the project started to make more sense and deserves to be progressed.
The story of that 'fire' needs to be explored and of course some clear indication of past history and that missing chassis number would be a huge step forward. A new body could be produced by the original suppliers, as per the Mk.III rebuilt for the Bexhill Museum, but of course at a significant cost. Did the 'fire' consume the Climax engine and gearbox or is that tucked away elsewhere? Owners have been known to keep chassis plates as souvenirs and so an attempt to locate anyone with previous knowledge of the car could be rewarding.
You may be aware that current FIA HTP papers can be obtained for 'replicas' as they now clearly state that the papers do not confirm that a given chassis number truly belongs to a given car .. the car just needs to be to the correct original specifications. It would therefore be possible to obtain HTP papers if the car is authentically rebuilt and you were happy to send the FIA a cheque for £1000. You will have spent a lot more money long before that!
However, it would be an interesting project and we are always delighted to see another ELVA sports racer returned to the track.
Email me if I can help further roger@elva.com

Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:09 am

No longer showing on the seller's website. I wonder who bought it.

Sadly, not me. Too slow / mean raising the funds, but I thought it was a great buy even at his full asking price. Could have been the basis of a lovely period racer for very sensible money.

Ah well,

Al

Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Has found a new owner here in the UK. Two issues held it back .. no clear indication of a chassis ID but further research might reveal a number, and the cost of a correct new alloy body. The original company that supplied the beautifully body sections to ELVA Engineering in period are still able to provide, but hand built and of course at a substantial cost. So to rebuild correctly it will be a relatively expensive project, but it now looks likely that the car will return to the track in due course. :D

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:37 am

Post Re: ELVA Mk.II car/parts .. Listed on eBay but no bids. SOLD
My plan of using the period correct 'Mistral' GRP body seemed the most cost effective way round the body 'issue', but my plan for an MGA 1500 engine was just that I'm a poor Scotsman :lol:

I'll look forward to seeing it back out in due course, and put it in the 'one that got away' list with all the others!

Al

Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:26 pm

Post Re: ELVA Mk.II car/parts .. Listed on eBay but no bids. SOLD
I know the feeling as of course I have Scottish blood, although the neighbours are delighted that I cannot play the bagpipes!
However, I can really annoy them with the drum kit! :roll:
The Mistral body a great idea .. I had suggested to David, the new owner, that the Ashley Laminates, later Falcon body would be very appropriate so some options to consider.
If you decide to buy a Mk.IV sports racer then you will be most welcome to have the whisky glasses mentioned at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=804 although the amber liquid will be for you to choose. :D

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]