View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Courier I Bumpers 

Post Courier I Bumpers
Hello all,
I saw another request for bumperetts posted some time ago and am curious to know if anyone knows of any out there as I'm still looking. I am hoping to get together with my friend Al in Bennington, Vt to attempt making fiberglass molds of his set. I'll let you all know if we have success but please let me know if there are any other ideas.

Thanks, Joe M.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:07 pm

Post Re: Courier I Bumpers
Thanks for your post Joe. You will know that early cars had aluminium bumperettes, later cars often fitted with a grp version. At one time we had a batch of aluminium units cast but these have long gone. There are probably a good number sitting around in garages and workshops, having been removed when Couriers were modified to race spec, or front and rear ends were knocked about in racing incidents. Anyone care to search under a bench or two? Feel sure that Al will be a great help. Good luck.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:24 pm

New news.
I have contacted a shop that will make bumperstte molds to produce a GRP bumperette set - that's if I can locate a set to make the molds from. I've talked to Al up in Vermont and he has a front pair off his car but they are damaged. He also has a rear pair but they are still on the car and he would rather not mess with them until he has to fearing that in trying to remove them they might be damaged. If there's anyone out there who has a set that we can make molds from please let me know. I will pay for the molds to be made and anyone who needs units or replacements will benefit. The original bumperettes will of course be returned to the owner. The shop is a full pro restoration house in Pottstown named Pollock Automotive Restorations. If I can get these done they will be a simple GRP shell with attachment posts bonded in.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:21 pm

Joe, I have tracked down moulds for the bumperettes here in the UK and will confirm a price ASAP. Not difficult to ship finished items but as with everything ELVA, expect some fettling when fitting. For those interested, there is the opportunity to supply a full body for the early Courier as I believe Bill Bennett was seeking. Not quite so easy to pop in the post, but we shipped many complete bodies for the later sports racers to the States ... we just have the bodywork crated and you give a few dollars to the shipper! Job done. :lol:

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:24 am

Hello Again.
Yes please let me know about the bumper - ettes. I getting ready to attack the main body and should be ready for paint by the spring. As you said - everything Elva requires a little "tweekin" so the sooner I start the better.
Thanks - Joe M.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:36 am

You may have seen that Brian Stern sadly passed away suddenly, and it was Brian who had the moulds. I will try and ensure that they are secured and available but obviously in these circumstances need to be respectful of the situation.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:53 am

Rodger,
I am so sorry. Of course I understand. We are all getting older and these are the realities of life. I want to be respectful as well. Just let me know if anything develops. The way I work it could be another year before I really need them. I'll check back in a few weeks. Al Chicote who owns 142L has a funky set and he and I have been talking about making molds. We are soooo lazy though.
Again, thank you. Joe M.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:15 pm

I would be interested in obtaining some front bumpers for my Elva Courier project.
The below picture, if it comes out, shows the car in Sept 1960. If you look carefully at the right bumper, it is broken, not bent, which indicates to me that it already had fiberglass bumpers... (100/76 L)

[img][IMG]http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t278/Grandy196/Elva%20Courier%20Project/scanelvawg19600001small_zpsa5c4d231.jpg[/img][/img]

I have a good set of rear fiberglass bumpers, off the car, that could be used to make a mold .... which I might do anyway.

Please keep me in the loop...thanks

Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:45 pm

The link wouldn't work for me but I can testify that the cast aluminum bumpers will break as well. I tried to conform I think my left front to an asymmetrical body with heat and leverage and it snapped without bending.
Anyone have pictures of the inside of the fiberglass bumpers? Were they the same size and shape as the cast aluminum?

Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:51 am

Hello Bill,
Just saw your reply about the bumpers. I'm still trying to either find a set, find some molds, or make some. I got together with Al Chicote in Bennington Vt who has a set on his car and we plan to make some molds in the spring when it warms a little. I know a very good restoration shop in Pa. who will produce molds and the bumperettes if we can get a set of originals. Als front bumpers are aluminum and the front points are just a little snapped but good enough for our project. We'll keep checking on progress. Never heard back from Rodger about the molds in the UK.

Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next