View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Elva Mk6 60 /10 in 1962 

Post Elva Mk6 60 /10 in 1962
Bill Hinshaw , the original owner provided the following information. I have included information from various emails

1962 brought delays from England. "My" car caught fire in the alley behind the Elva works and I was sent one that had apparently been hastily cobbled together. It had supposedly been tested at Brands Hatch but had it actually been it would have been immediately scrapped. Gearbox oil poured onto the rear brakes due to incorrect machining specs on the hubs and other mishaps followed.
Mine came on a pallet all the way from England by TWA polar flight, I think, to San Francisco. It was indeed a joyful sight - still spotless and full of promise. - I had originally ordered my car in the optional silver, but that was the one that caught fire in the mews behind the Elva works (they probably forgot to tighten a fuel line fitting, just as they forgot to machine the transmission side seal races correctly and a few other goofs. I was aware of only one other Mk6 being sold in California besides mine - the one in LA belonging to Art Snyder and he didn't keep it long, I believe.
I had been shipped "dry" of course so it couldn't be started right away but it just looked ready-to-go.
The original Mk6 front motor mounts installed on my car was a round thing, sort of like a Norton Commando swing-arm mount, with a through-bolt and nut clamping it to a piece of light sheetmetal wrapped around the center vertical frame tube. It wasn't strong enough to take the engine torque plus the weight of the engine/transaxle unit that wasn't being carried by the mounting at the rear of the chassis. So the engine would drop when the mount broke and the crank pulley wouldspin on the lower cross-tube, frying the fan belt. That was my first clue that something wasn't right back aft.Oh, yes: the engine fell out on the main straight on Saturday at Salt Lake and we had to fabricate new mounts that night, with a win on Sunday)
Eventually, after a semi successful tour of races in the Pacific Northwest I took the Mk6 to race at Salt Lake City and to see how the Mk3 was doing. Final note: as pictured in www.tamsoldracecarsite.net the last time I raced it was at Laguna Seca in October/November, 1962. It was a DNF when the gearbox broke an engaging clutch ring (Not annealed enough, a defect later cured by Hewland). Jim Hall, the Distributor for the SW, sent me another from Texas and I got the car ready for testing. That was when the LA buyer showed up and we headed off to Cotati for a demonstration run. On the way we were sideswiped by a drunk in a Cadillac and the car & trailer ended up separated but otherwise intact. I took $100 off the price for the broken suspension arm and the buyer took the car & went home. I sold 60/10 to the kid from LA, and his name could have been Doug Hooper and bought John Miller's Lotus 11 when he retired.
The picture in Tam McPartland's website of the Mk3, and of the Mk6 also, were taken there –

I met Art Snyder right after he got his car and I went down to LA to see it. I was still waiting for a car since the one destined for me had burned up at the factory. He very kindly showed me all around his, he being quite a bit older than I, but for some reason we never ran at a race together. Probably just as well, too, as we were both prone to play "bumper tag" occasionally and of course it would have been disrespectful of me to do that to an older gentleman.

Art Snyder's car was white with red detailing (by him). Bunny Ribbs' was also white, or so I think. I had gone east to Ohio in January to finish college and didn't return until 65 so I never saw the car after the kid from L.A. bought it

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]