View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
We need Sherlock Holmes to find this ELVA FJ .. 

Post We need Sherlock Holmes to find this ELVA FJ ..
I had an enquiry from Dave Hogye who was hoping to track down a front-engined ELVA Formula Junior that a close family member had a connection with back in the early 1960's.
There are a good number of excellent ELVA detectives amongst the worldwide ELVA group, and so maybe someone can help Dave find this car particularly if a history file indicates any of the following names.

Dave sent a few photos of his Godfather's (his name is David Smith) Elva DKW 100. He ran the race number 138 in SCCA as far is known. The photos are dated '63 and Dave knows that the Elva was towed with a '63 Ford Falcon V8 convertible. His father Louis Hogye was service manager at Jaguar Cleveland at this time where David Smith purchased the Elva.

David Smith was my fathers best friend and he sold cars at Marshall Ford also near Cleveland.

David Smith has acknowledged, "I purchased the car as a pile of parts from Jag Cleveland. It had been raced for a few years by Al Beasley, sponsored by Jaguar Cleveland. He always raced white cars so I must have refinished it. I only did my drivers school and a few regional races in the Elva as the DKW engine was too finicky for me. I sold it but unfortunately kept no records or specific info."

Dave Hogye spotted on RacingSportsCars.com some archive material on the 1961 June Sprints held at Road America, stating that an Elva FJ was entered by Elmer "Bud" Flesher of Cleveland Hts. Ohio, and driven by Al Beasley. Dave talked to his father who was the service manager for Jaguar Cleveland back then and he confirmed that Bud was the general manager for Jaguar Cleveland which was located in Cleveland Heights. This links the Elva FJ that Al Beasley drove with Jaguar Cleveland. The car was white at the time and the race number was 62.

Attached is a photo of my father standing in the garage at Jag Cleveland in 1963. This was a Triumph factory service clinic being held for customers and their cars. Note the sign that lists all the makes the dealership sold, including Elva.

I would be good to help if possible .. Dave can be reached by email: dlhogye@comcast.net

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 112.82 KiB | Viewed 227 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 93.84 KiB | Viewed 227 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 227 times ]
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:51 pm

Post Re: We need Sherlock Holmes to find this ELVA FJ ..
I noted that Dave had written to Victory Lane magazine and his enquiry was published soon after.
Good to see a response from Duncan Rabagliati who is of course the guru of ALL things Formula Junior, but with relatively little to go on was not able to give any positive identification to date.
Maybe something will come to light soon ....

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 669.8 KiB | Viewed 213 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 213 times ]
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]