View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Early Courier screens 

Post Early Courier screens
This is also posted on the Cars for Sale sub-forum initiating from the description of Courier 100/69/L and the early type split screen fitted to that car ....

Split-vee flat glass screen
Recent research, Survey 2009 (Bennett, Oritt, North, YHS ) found split vee screen up to Courier 100/91L (Morrison) and 200/15R (Worsey, Drill Hall car)
My 66L and Joe's 69L are split vee flat glass Couriers.

I had heard that Frank, being thrifty, would use up available spares at any point in production. Maybe they found a few old vee frames when 91L was being finished.

but then again . . .

Old Colt's 100/12L has a one-piece screen with no evidence, in body mounting holes, of being "updated." (a car so early it had semaphore slots)
My 100/18L has a one-piece screen included in the parts boxes, but severe body damage and repairs left me thinking it was a replacement.
Both of these are 1958 flat-deck Couriers, well before the accepted 1960 changeover AKA Series II.

Gary C

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:25 pm

Post Re: Early Courier screens
There were certainly still a number of the early split screens around even at the time of the voluntary liquidation in 1961, as some years later I went to see a collection of goodies which had been sold off at the time of that turmoil, and several of the rather old fashioned screen frames were part of what remained.
I think Gary's reference to a 'drill hall' car was one of the cars completed at the additional (third) workshop established in the old Drill Hall at Grove Road, Ore while the new Hastings factory was being built. The second workshop (behind the York Hotel, London Road, Bexhill) had also previously been a 'drill hall'.

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:43 pm

Hello. Just wondering about my Elva Courier 100/134/L as it has a single piece windscreen. It is registered as a 1960 model but I don't know where to find the Mfg. date if one exists. Would the single piece windscreen help identify the car as one manufactured in 1960? The ID Plate also has ELVA CARS LTD., Hastings, Sussix at the top of the plate.
Thanks

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:11 am

Unfortunately we only have build records for the Trojan-Elva cars, some 210 units. For all sorts of reasons the early paperwork is likely to have been 'sketchy' at least, and no build dates were ever shown on the ID/chassis plates however the Hastings plate would suggest that 100/134/L would have been built at Sedlescombe Road North between May '59 and September '61. I suspect late 1960 would be about the date. ;)

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Just a little add-on to what has been already said, my car 200/15R refered to as the drill hall car was sertainly fitted with a split screen, but with a latter body with the raised lip across the rear deck and the revised cill mountings . I have a picture of the car being raced by its first owner in early 1960. It was registered in June 1959. When restoring the car the early split screen mountings could be seen. The general story is the car was assembled useing what was at hand prior to the move to the new Hastings Factory which at that time was unfinished and only the Glassfibre Shop was produceing Bodies. Thus my car also has an early chassis with some mods I have not seen on other Couriers. Still trying to trace any owners of 941HPP BETWEEN 1960 AND 1989. BARRY

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:57 pm

Stumbled across this thread....

Added info: Courier 100/94/L has the flat, V screen. 100/150/L has the one piece.

Also, 94 has the angle outriggers for side sills, with bolts coming in from side. 150 has channel section, with bolts in vertical from below.

Bob L.

Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:04 am

Thanks Bob, that checks right.

Since the original post Couriers 100/108L, and 110L have been recorded with the flat-glass vee screens; both from Bexhill factory.

gc

Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]