View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
ASHLEY-ELVA ?.. A recent "barn find" 

Post ASHLEY-ELVA ?.. A recent "barn find"
Andrew from Cornwall called me a few days ago as he had just bought a "barn find" which was said to be an "Ashley-Elva". My first thoughts were that perhaps this was a Ashley Laminates bodied ELVA Mk.1B, however a search on the web using the UK road registration number revealed the car which certainly is an Ashley body but most unlikely to be on an Elva frame. The actual car has yet to be recovered from the very isolated barn so new photo's will tell more, but my guess is that this Ashley may have been fitted with an IOE Elva conversion on the Ford 100E engine. Apparently it currently has a 100E unit fitted with the Aquaplane head. The car is a roadster with fitted hardtop. A further search should show the actual model as Ashley produced a number of grp body styles, including of course the 'Competition' type used on the Elva Mk.1B. The car does have competition history and one of the pictures appears to show it being used in an Autotest event in the Maidstone area. There are two badges, one in brass showing a 'Rampant Lion' and the other showing a 'Running Hare', on a bright red background. Probably motor club badges, but can anyone offer any ideas, or perhaps even recognise the car and two 'owners'?? :geek:

Attachments:
Ashley 219 GKR (1).jpg
Ashley 219 GKR (1).jpg [ 23.97 KiB | Viewed 2936 times ]
Ashley 219 GKR (2).jpg
Ashley 219 GKR (2).jpg [ 18.66 KiB | Viewed 2936 times ]
Ashley 219 GKR (3).jpg
Ashley 219 GKR (3).jpg [ 1.35 KiB | Viewed 2936 times ]
Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:31 pm

Post Re: ASHLEY-ELVA ?.. A recent "barn find"
Andrew Tillotson sent me further current images of the Ashley which as expected is in need of some TLC. The chassis frame is not Elva albeit rather similar to the early tubular framed Courier and I wondered if supplied by Regent. This seems to have been confirmed by Ivor Coster who is way down south in Australia and has an interesting website http://www.ashleysportscarsregistry.weebly.com Ivor recognised the UK road registration number and had researched that the car was first registered during 1959 in Kent. I plan to help him with his registry with regard to known Elva sports racers that were fitted with the Ashley Laminates/Falcon 'competition' body.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:12 pm

An update to this interesting story ... the fact that the car was supposedly thought to have been called an Ashley-Elva is made more intriguing by the first owner being a Mr. P. Nichols located in Kent. Must reshuffle the memory cells as I feel sure that there was a connection between ELVA Engineering and the Regent Chassis company in the early days. Anyway ... http://ashleysportiva.weebly.com/ashley ... 9-gkr.html

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:58 pm

Roger,
Who/what was Regent? Very strong resemblance to the early Courier frame! Did Regent design the Courier frame for Frank or did one or the other "borrow" it?

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:28 pm

Post Re: ASHLEY-ELVA ?.. A recent "barn find" on eBay
Currently on eBay needing a bucket full of tlc ... the original documents show registered as a "Morris Special" so still no obvious link to backup the description of an Ashley-Elva. An Ashley body for sure and possibly built with an original Elva IOE converted 100E motor seems the most likely bet.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/293028358217?u ... noapp=true

The seller seems unsettled that people have queried the history but offers no explanations which is not encouraging.
For the DVLA to have accepted the car originally as a "Morris Special" that would seem the correct description. :roll:

Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]