View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
SIMON PEACH 

Post SIMON PEACH
I was of course extremely sorry to learn that ELVA Mk.IV sports racer owner, and dedicated ELVA enthusiast, Simon Peach had passed away following a progressive unforgiving illness.
Simon will be remembered as a 'Mr Nice Guy' and determined driver being part of the UK historic racing scene and with no doubt he will be most sadly missed. I fondly remember his keen enthusiasm while waiting for the car to arrive from across the Pond and his wonderful support for our 50th Anniversary Meeting at Mallory Park back in 2005.
So rest in peace Sir and thank you for being such an important part of the ongoing ELVA story.

Here are some tributes ..

I’ve known Simon since 1992 when we worked together at Toyota at Derby.
He was always a gentleman and very knowledgeable especially around motorsport.
In 2001 Simon purchased the TVR Grantura IIa and then in 2004 searched 'hi & low' to find an Elva Mk.IV sports racer to which was to be found located in America.
He was interested in the Elva pedigree and the history of the marque so wanted to bring the Mk.IV, with chassis number 100/67, back home to the UK. Simon was so excited to find and purchase this car as it had been owned by the US Elva dealership 'Continental Motors' from new, way back in 1959.
The car had raced in the States at the Pensacola Florida airport circuit, the Virginia International Raceway and the Gainsville GA airport circuit, driven by Frank Baptista throughout 1959.
In 1960 achieved a class win at Sebring 12 hours race driven by Ed Costley with Peter Harrison, to be driven again that year at Cortland by Ed .
Simon raced in many events and in 2005, with support from Roger Dunbar, helped bring together, for the 50th Anniversary, a celebration meeting of the Elva marque at Mallory Park, to which many Elva enthusiasts attended.
The Mk.IV has raced competitively since its return to the UK. The car also took Simon to the last ever race at Montherly then co-driven by Rod Begbie; the Elva also raced three times at the spectacular Goodwood Revival.
During the 2009 and 2010 Revival meetings, Simon and myself Shaun Bromley, as his co-driver, were lucky enough race against Sir Stirling Moss in his Osca .
However it was in 2014 that Simon’s health started to deteriorate, and soon Simon decided that he was not up to racing and asked me as his close friend to keep the car 'in the family’.
I therefore looked after the car pending Simon’s full recovery, but sadly Simon’s health did not improve. It was therefore decided that I should become the new caretaker of the car and fettle the Mk.IV back to how it was when it last turned a wheel.
After some gentle restoration, I took the Elva Mk.IV to the recent 2018 Chateaux Impney Hill Climb which was its first outing since 2010.
On the morning of Saturday 7th July 2018 the Elva had it's first run up the hill but I was only to find out later that afternoon that during that morning Simon had passed away – immensely sad but maybe perfect timing as we feel that somehow he knew that the Elva was in good hands and racing once again.
Simon Peach was such a kind considerate man who inspired everyone who met him.
He will be very sadly missed.
(Shaun Bromley)

I have Simon to thank for introducing me to the Elva marque and it was great fun co-driving his Mk.IV in the early 2000's. Indeed, so much fun that I went out and bought my own example!
I also have him to thank for what is probably the most exhilarating motoring experience of my life as Simon also took me out for a spin in his Ariel Atom and the Derbyshore hedgerows have never been as much of blur!
(Rod Begbie)

Attachments:
File comment: Simon (L) with Shaun (R) at the Donington Historic Festival 2004 and achieved a 3rd in Class.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 372.36 KiB | Viewed 974 times ]
File comment: Simon in action with 100/67 at the Goodwood Revival.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 803.82 KiB | Viewed 974 times ]
File comment: In the mix, again at Goodwood
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 3.55 MiB | Viewed 974 times ]
File comment: Shaun takes 100/67 to the wonderful 2018 Chateaux Impney Hillclimb event.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 53.8 KiB | Viewed 974 times ]
File comment: The impressive venue as Shaun flashes past the 'Chateaux' in 100/67
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 39.07 KiB | Viewed 974 times ]
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]