View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Help ID MKVI Steering Rack 

Post Help ID MKVI Steering Rack
Does anyone know what the source is of the steering rack in the MKVI? The one that came in my car is the wrong one (and appears to be from a Morris Minor). Sadly, because of the differences, this caused the steering column to go where the brake pedal was - so the brake pedal was bent over for room, and this needs to be fixed.

Here are some pictures. The first on is of the one that came with the car. Not that the pinion points to the left and there is a large spacer of sorts on the right of the pinion. The other pictures are of other MKVIs. Note that the pinion points left and that spacer is on the left of the pinion - moving the pinion in the correct direction, away from the brake pedal!

Attachments:
Steering box wrong direction.jpg
Steering box wrong direction.jpg [ 158.12 KiB | Viewed 725 times ]
Number 1 2.jpg
Number 1 2.jpg [ 21.83 KiB | Viewed 725 times ]
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:36 am

Post Re: Help ID MKVI Steering Rack
Jay .. I can tell you that the Mk.VII used a MODIFIED Triumph Herald unit so worth a look.
However keep in mind that much taken off an OEM parts shelf was tweaked to suit the Elva application.
We (Elva Racing) modified the Triumph rack to 'cut & shut' thus effectively moving the pinion box and o/a length.
If in doubt talk to VRM in Redmond ...

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:16 am

Post Re: Help ID MKVI Steering Rack
I'm sure to no one's surprise, Roger comes through! It was the emphasis on *modified.* I kept searching and found that the pinion case is definitely what is on an early Sprite. Ironically, a LHD Sprite, not a RHD one! I just bought one and we'll see if we can make the same modifications:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MG-Midget-Aust ... 2693850455?

Thanks Roger!

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]