View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Mk 6 Windshield Wiper, Lights and Body Fit 

Post Mk 6 Windshield Wiper, Lights and Body Fit
Anyone know what windshield wiper the factory used on the Mk 6?

Early pictures of our car show one, and we'd like to put it back on.

We did get a pair of the small running lights already.

Last edited by Jay Eric Jonathan on Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:43 pm

Post Re: Mk 6 Windshield Wiper
The regulations may have required a 'wiper' but not that it actually worked .. the scrutineer would see it fitted and tick the appropriate box. The wiper arm/blade small so think early Mini perhaps?
Same for a 'spare wheel' rule .. carried but may have only fitted a wheelbarrow :lol:

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:29 am

We'll look at the Mini. Thanks!

FWIW, the running lights were from an English motorcycle! And for all I know, the two we bought were the last in the world.

And we also found that our steering rack was not lining up the steering column correctly. After examining many photos of the other Mk6s, and looking at countless pictures of steering racks online, we determined that whoever built our rack used a Morris Minor rack to covert. But the factory rack used a Spridget, LHD unit. Yes, LHD. The RHD one was wrong too. So I got one and are fixing ours to correct factory specs.

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:37 pm

The normal 'running' or side-lights are a Lucas L550 part which had various bezels including a hooded type for our number plate lights. The original fitting in various ELVA models has a single tab to secure the light and this can be hard to find: the same bezel but with two tabs more easy.
Supplied by Lucas for many uses on various vehicles.
Here is an image ...

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 196.64 KiB | Viewed 810 times ]
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Yep. Exactly what we were able to find.

Attachments:
Running Lights.jpg
Running Lights.jpg [ 94.42 KiB | Viewed 804 times ]
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:19 am

Great job .. well done as they really are as difficult to find as hen's teeth! Five stars for effort. :D

Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:24 pm

:D

Meanwhile, in looking at all my pictures, this is the best shot I have found of a wiper so far. This is from the 1962 Sports Car Graphic magazine. So I'm going to have to believe pretty much how the factory did it. What also strikes me about this picture is how the dash corners fit so nicely. Most of the Mk6s don't have this style at this location - and most fit terribly. I wonder if all cars left the factory this way, or if the factory did change it up. Unless we find other info, we would plan on making sure ours matches this.

Green circle shows this area as a piece separate from the body. Many I've seen have this as part of the body.

Red circle shows dash top continuing wide out and under the body. Almost all that I've seen this is shorter and doesn't go under the body. Interestingly, on the right side, the dash top goes wide, but does not go under body there. Ugh.

Yellow circle shows gap between the bottom of the body lip and the top of the dash where the plaque is. This gap here is larger than any other Mk6 I've seen.

Attachments:
Sports Car Graphic Dash top wiper marked.jpg
Sports Car Graphic Dash top wiper marked.jpg [ 212.41 KiB | Viewed 799 times ]
Sports Car Graphic other side.JPG
Sports Car Graphic other side.JPG [ 62.53 KiB | Viewed 798 times ]

Last edited by Jay Eric Jonathan on Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:50 pm

Actually here is a very nice car. It has the opposite of the factory picture. See how the blue goes over the dash corner, and runs all the way down. Most cars don't have this nice overlap. But most do have this basic shape of the body, unlike the factory picture above.

I wonder if the factory ever did it this way, or if all factory versions were like the picture in the magazine.

I will say that the front of our body seems mostly rest right there. I'm not sure where it is supposed to rest. Maybe that was a change made on purpose.

Attachments:
Nice corner overlap.jpg
Nice corner overlap.jpg [ 25.22 KiB | Viewed 798 times ]
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:16 pm

Post Re: Mk 6 Windshield Wiper, Lights and Body Fit
Another shot of a wiper.

Attachments:
Wiper 2.JPG
Wiper 2.JPG [ 67.82 KiB | Viewed 782 times ]
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:05 am

Post Re: Mk 6 Windshield Wiper, Lights and Body Fit
That is hilarious!