View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Elva Mk6 for sale, SOLD 

Elva Mk6 for sale, SOLD
Dear fellow Elva owners,

SOLD

I have an Elva Mk 6 for sale (Chassis #23). I bought it 5 years ago as a restored car from John Lindsay (RIP). John owned this car for quite a long time, long enough that he couldn't recall who he got it from other than it was someone in the American midwest.

John sold me the car as a custom build from a bare frame. The suspension is all new parts other than the front uprights (Spitfire units, crack tested) and rear uprights, and the rear lower a-arms. The front hubs are new alloy units. The engine is a refreshed Ford non-crossflow 1500 which John said made about 160hp with twin Weber 45's. The gearbox is a 4spd Hewland Mk8 (open diff). The fluid systems (oil, cooling) are of all new parts except the 5 port dry sump pump and the sump cover itself. It has a very nice pair of new radiators and the fuel bladder is a custom job that fits inside a replica of the original near-side tank. The hydraulic system is all new (Wilwood). All the electrical components are new (race starter, Stack vintage style tachometer, pointless ignition and digital rev limiter). The car has a new, unused lifeline AFFF integrated fire system (3 nozzles). The body was a new unit that John had laid up for this car. The car has 4 new, unused magnesium wheels from Lee Chapman and a set of unused Dunlop bias ply race tires (but they ARE 5 years old). The quality of the front body work is decent, but the rear clamshell was damaged when it flew off the car during the long tow home. Both the front and rear hatches should be remade because they warped and don't fit the body opening very well. Also, the body needs a plexiglass windscreen and side screens. All said and done I recall spending around $30k in new parts. All the new parts were shipped directly to John but alas he didn't appear to have kept any of the receipts. I do have some documentation for things I paid for directly, but not for the things John purchased (such as the engine, the renewed gearbox, the suspension parts, Webers, brakes, etc.).

For a variety of reasons I never raced the car after bringing it home from John's shop. When I got the car home, I took it back down to a bare frame. The frame was taken to a world-class race restoration/support shop that specializes in race cars of the 1950-60-70's. This is the sort of shop that sends cars to Goodwood Revival, Montery Historics, Mille Miglia, etc. and I trust them completely. Anyway, they put the frame on their reference table and found that it has about a 1" twist that appears to mainly be in the rear bulkhead assembly. A proper job will require the frame be disassembled from the rear bulk head back, and redone so it's straight.

The new owner will need to build the car up from a bare frame. Most of the subassemblies are labeled and have been kept loosely put together for easy reference (a 4 corners, engine and gearbox still assembled). The electrical wiring and oil lines should be redone from scratch. I would advise that engine sump be removed and the engine rebuild quality verified by a Ford Kent expert. Ditto the hewland gearbox. The chassis needs all new brake-lines (hard lines) as well.

I'm willing to put the suspension and steering back on the frame so it can be rolled about, but please heed my comment about every thing needing to be checked out by a competent mechanic.

I realize that a complete working car is worth vastly more than a collection of parts. However, I have quite a few other projects I'm trying to finish, and am motivated to move this Mk6 project into the hands of someone who has the desire and and capability to put it together into a proper, safe race car. Therefore, I'm open to all offers, be they reasonable or not.

The car is located near Boston, Massachsetts (USA).

John Feng
email: xkfeng7 (at) gmail (dot) com

Attachments:
Elva 9 jan 2013 001.jpg
Elva 9 jan 2013 001.jpg [ 81.03 KiB | Viewed 1473 times ]
front_qtr_1.jpg
front_qtr_1.jpg [ 297.7 KiB | Viewed 1473 times ]
20140430_194929_resized - Copy.jpg
20140430_194929_resized - Copy.jpg [ 228.1 KiB | Viewed 1473 times ]
20140430_195020_resized - Copy.jpg
20140430_195020_resized - Copy.jpg [ 238.5 KiB | Viewed 1473 times ]
rear_body_unpainted_copy.jpg