View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Courier bumperettes ... Needed ??? 

Post Courier bumperettes ... Needed ???
Some years ago ERCL had a small batch of the Mk.1/2/3 Courier bumperettes produced in the original form, aluminium alloy, and when polished they looked fabulous. Later cars had the same parts in painted grp and there was talk about having molds produced to replicate the grp version ... did anyone take that forward??

Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:13 am

Post Re: Courier bumperettes ... Needed ???
Rodger, I am presently attempting to produce grp bumperettes. I have put together molds but am having trouble with releasing them from the molds. Am delayed just now but will keep all advised of my progress. So far I have a test pair of front end bumpers but they are a little rough and I was forced to destroy the mold to free them.
Joe Marchione

Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:40 pm

Post Re: Courier bumperettes ... Needed ???
Joe, just saw this thread... had a thought or 2 to share...

Don't know how you did the mold, but believe you should make each 2 part, with flanged/split down center of them.... If like me, you probably tried to do in a single piece, which likely locked the part in once made. So, if needing to redo molds, look at split on peak.

If a matter of mold release, then you should wax extremely well, then brush or lightly dust in PBA or PBB mold release. These are water soluable release agents (alcohol based), available form most fiberglass places. I always had an issue with surface finish having brush strokes (fisheyes when sprayed...to heavy likely). but will definitely make releasing easier.

Finally, you might consider adding a couple of ports on back side of mold, you can put air pressure or water in from those to push part off the mold. Typically, a 1/4" coupling glued to back side with hole thru mold, then put a piece of tape over the hole on mold inside...(clear packing tape works well) to close if off ....will have a small spot on part where tape was, but really makes stuff pop out easier.

Wish you luck...a worthwhile project....for someone else!

Bob L.

Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]