View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
ELVA 15" MAG WHEELS SOLD 

Post ELVA 15" MAG WHEELS SOLD
These wheels are from an ELVA F/J ... the story follows but wheel details ...
Four ea. rims of 4.00 width and 2 ea. rims of 5.00 width.
Three of the 4.00 rims are good with hardly any corrosion, the fourth (blue) has some but I think it is manageable
The two 5.00 rims have problems: the blue is heavily corroded and I really don't know if it can be saved. The black one has a weld repair and one steel insert missing. I devised a simple rig to see if there was wobble or other run-out problems. The blue 4.00 has a very small area where the tire retaining shoulder is slightly bent. I think it is easily bent back to normal or might be OK as is. The black 5.00 has radial run-out problem at the weld area. I think it could be fairly easily remedied with epoxy as the depression is not deep. The wheels would be ideal for parade or spares but not for racing unless carefully inspected and repaired where necessary. They are 55 years old.

These wheels belong to the Elva 100 I had as my first race car which tragically burned to the ground at the practice before my first "real race" , racing on ice, not with spiked tires but with studded, so no great strain was placed on the rims (important!). One of the Amal carburetors of the DKW was leaking fuel and it ignited. The rear wheels actually caught fire when none of the extinguishers at the track were operable. That magnesium does burn bright, I could see it through my tears.

I'd very much like to have an Elva owner buy these. I'm aware that possibly both the 5.00 rims are questionable but maybe could be refurbished by a knowledgeable enthusiast. I think £550 for the lot would be a realistic price.

I could deliver to Thruxton April 19th. Contact pertti.kiiveri@kolumbus.fi

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 102.56 KiB | Viewed 1323 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 109.38 KiB | Viewed 1323 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 88.69 KiB | Viewed 1323 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 93.6 KiB | Viewed 1323 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 96.99 KiB | Viewed 1323 times ]